As we’ve seen a lot over the last few weeks, plumbing emergencies such a frozen water pipes can cause significant damage to homes and wreck havoc on the homeowners. Since time is of the essence if your home experiences a ruptured water heater, broken water pipe or other plumbing emergency. Here are a few Water Damage Tips that can help you protect your home:
What to do:
- Turn off the water to the source of the loss. If you are unable to locate the source, turn off the main water valve to your home.
- Contact PHC Restoration to begin water mitigation services.
- Try to remove as much water as possible by mopping or blotting with towels. DO NOT plug in extraction devices in outlets that may be wet.
- Remove wet area rugs and lift draperies off the floor if possible.
- Cover, protect or move furniture.
- Open drawers, closets and cabinet doors to aid drying.
What not to do:
- DO NOT try to clean up contaminated water yourself.
- DO NOT use a regular household vacuum to remove water.
- DO NOT rely solely on a shop vac. Shop vacs are capable of removing standing water and some water from carpets but are NOT effective in removing water from subfloors nor stopping moisture penetration in walls or cabinetry. Just because you do not see or feel water does not mean the whole surface is dry. Mold could still grow.
- DO NOT turn on ceiling fans to dry the room if the ceiling is wet.
PHC Restoration provides full service restoration services to homes and businesses affected by fire, water, mold and storm damage to Raleigh, Lillington, Fuquay Varina and surrounding areas. Give us a call at 910-814-2502 if you experience a water damage emergency.