With the summer months ahead, weekend trips and vacations are more prevalent than ever. Below you’ll find some simple tips and tricks to prevent water damage while you’re away from home.
Prepare Your Home
Before you leave for a trip, make sure you turn off your water at the main water valve; this will shut off the water to your entire house. If you have someone taking care of your pets or you have an automatic sprinkler system and are unable to turn off the water to the entire house, turn off the water at the valves of your sinks and toilets. Although this may take a little longer to turn off, it could save you thousands of dollars in the long run.
In addition to the above, be sure to check your gutters to make sure any rain water is flowing away from your home and there is no debris build up. By doing this, you can prevent the below from happening. This property located in Cary, NC is what someone came home to find after their 4th of July weekend away.
General Preventative Measures
- Periodically check for moisture around the tank and any rust spots
- Flush your water heater every six months
- Those installed in crawl spaces can release water undetected until water or power bills cause alarm
- Repair any loose or cracked tiles/grout lines
- Check supply lines to sinks and toilets every six months for kinks or loose connections
- Keep an eye on your water bill as a significant increase could mean a water leak
- Inspect your roof annually and replace any missing or loose shingles
- Check your gutters and downspouts to make sure they are clear, and water drains away from the house
With these tips in mind, you should be well on your way to enjoying a stress-free vacation. If an emergency arises, however, our team is here to help 24/7 at 910-814-2502.
To learn more about our water damage repair process, visit: https://phcrestoration.com/restoration-services/water-damage-repair-services/