Three Steps to Prepare for Carolina Hurricane Season
First, keep up with forecasts because models are known to change frequently.
Second, review your insurance policy! According to the North Carolina Department of Insurance, here are a few things you should do with Hurricane Season among us:
- Make sure it lists all of the coverages you need and understand what it doesn’t cover. Remember, no homeowners policy covers flooding. The only way to protect your property from flood losses is to purchase flood insurance from the National Flood Insurance Program; policies must be in place for 30 days before coverage takes effect.
- Know Your Insurance Company Information: The insurance carrier’s name may be different from the name of the insurance agent or agency. Many independent agents provide insurance from multiple carriers. Know the name of your insurance company, your policy number, and your agent’s contact information.
- Update Your Home Inventory: Keep a running inventory of your belongings; preferably a digital copy stored online so your insurance company can properly evaluate a loss if one were to occur.
Prepare Your Home
Third, use this time of advance notice to make sure your house, yard, and place of business are ready for the incoming wind and rain that hurricanes bring inland. Do these things before landfall:
- Clear your yard of debris which could become airborne and damage your home.
- Clean your gutters to allow proper drainage away from your home.
- Secure lawn furniture and put away umbrellas.
- Have emergency supplies on hand in case of power outages (batteries, flashlights, handheld radios, plenty of drinking water and food).
- Top off the gas tank in your car.
- Charge your cell phone and electronic devices.
- Consider purchasing a “power brick” to charge your phone without power.
We hope you won’t be needing restoration services this season, but if you do, our team of certified restoration technicians is here for you 24/7/365. Be safe! Learn more about hurricane preparedness by looking at our Hurricane Guide.