Over the last couple of weeks, we have started several fire restoration projects in and around Raleigh. The size and the causes of the fires ranged in scale but we approach each fire loss with the same goal in mind…to work with the homeowner to make sure their property looks just as good, if not better, than it did before the damage was done. We also know that suffering a fire to your home is devastating and overwhelming, so we work to get homeowners back in their homes as quickly as possible while making sure the repairs are done correctly.
Do you know what you should do after a home fire? FEMA and the US Fire Administration have gathered information and published “After the Fire! Returning to Normal”. Here is a look at their After a Home Fire Checklist:
- Contact your insurance agent or insurance company right away. Be sure to ask your agent what you should do first and what to do about the immediate needs of your home.
- Check with the fire department to make sure your home is safe to enter. Be very careful when you do re-enter your home
- The fire department will tell you if your utilities are safe to use. If they are not, the fire department will shut them off before they leave. Do not try to turn them back on by yourself.
- Contact your mortgage company or landlord to notify them of the fire.
- Try to find all valuable documents and records.
- Begin saving receipts for any money you spend related to the fire loss.
- Make a list of items that were lost or damaged in the fire for the insurance company.
- Research restoration companies who are certified to clean up the mess and help restore your home and personal property.