Grease fires are extremely dangerous and because they burn very hot, they can spread quickly to cabinets and other flammable areas of the kitchen causing significant fire damage.  While household ABC fire extinguishers are good at putting out most fires in the home, they are not recommended for putting out grease fires.  Here are some tips for extinguishing a grease fire:

  • Do not use water—water can cause the grease to splatter and in return spreading the fire to other areas of the kitchen
  • Do not try to carry the fire outside—carrying the pan or pot of burning grease/oil will splash the oil resulting in the fire spreading and possibly burning you
  • Call 911—better to be safe than sorry
  • Smother the fire—use a lid or a sheet pan to cover the flames
  • Baking soda can be used to smother the fire as well but it usually takes a lot of baking soda to work
  • Class K fire extinguishers use a dry chemical and can extinguish grease fires.  These fire extinguishers are usually found in commercial kitchens but can be used in homes but can contaminate your food and kitchen

Unattended cooking is the leading cause of fire damage resulting from kitchen or grease fires, so make sure you pay close attention to any foods cooking on the stove.