Did you know that on average in the US a candle fire is reported to the fire department every 40 minutes? That is a lot of candles and a lot of calls to for local fire departments. This week’s safety tip is for Candle Safety and prevention of fire damage to your home as published by the NFPA Public Education Division.
- Avoid using candles in the bedroom or other areas where people may fall asleep. Instead use flameless candles.
- Keep burning candles at least 12 inches away from anything that can burn
- Remember to extinguish all candles when you leave a room
- Don’t burn a candle all the way down
- Light candles carefully keeping loose clothing and hair away from the flame
- Keep candles, matches and lighters out of the reach of children